All of these things happened to me in the last three years (honest). Since lists appear to be so damn popular lately, here’s my list:
1) I was promoted to manage a larger group, and moved from Texas to Florida to do that.
2) I was hit by FIVE hurricanes – four in 6 weeks or so in Florida and another in South Padre Island, TX
3) I was attacked by a turtle.
4) I had trees catch on fire – THREE TIMES.
5) I waited in line for gas for more than three hours on more than ten occasions.
6) I moved BACK to Texas after the hurricanes hit in Florida. I don’t do so well with coastlines.
7) I was laid off, along with 90 percent of the new group I was promoted to build.
8) My job went to India, and a better one came back.
9) I became friends again with my ex wife.
10) I started three for profit businesses (all are still active) and one non-profit (that needs to become more active).
11) I started four blogs, and finally decided not to try to blog for anyone other than me, and the people I care for 🙂
12) I decided to try consulting – and I find I love it – and that it doesn’t pay much 😉
13) I sold a classic 1957 MGA Roadster car that I loved – and found I really don’t miss it at all.
14) I nearly got a DUI for mowing my own yard.
15) I learned that I don’t ever have to meet someone to consider them a friend.
16) I reduced my personal expenses by almost 65% – and find I’m not missing anything I gave up – and I didn’t give up a lot. I just do things in more moderation now.
17) I saw my son turn 18 years old – and stay the same great kid he was when he was 10. He still kisses me goodbye on the cheek every morning. Even if his friends are watching.
18) I watched my daughter turn from a cuddly little ball of energy into a beautiful young lady that I am proud to all my daughter. And I think she will always make me proud.
19) I passed up several good job opportunities on the West Coast simply because I didn’t want to inflict my hurricane-magnetism on them (Californians can send their donations via PayPal)
20) I decided I am pretty happy with who I am – and for the first time in my professional career I shed off the “Imposter Syndrome” I had always carried. I have not become cocky – just confident.
And that’s 20 things. And it is a fractional list. Some things happened that I can’t tell you about 😉