- Reboot. I don’t care what Operating System you are running. Rebooting is like a gigantic colonic for computers. I know it’s a pain in the ass for you to reboot – it’s also a pain in the ass for me to sit on the phone with you for 5 minutes waiting for your damn machine to reboot!
- Write down any error messages you get before you call me. Don’t call and tell me, “I got an error box” when you don’t have a clue what it said!
- If I am walking you through something, type EXACTLY what I tell you. If I tell you, “Press F3” then I mean press the key that says “F3” on it. I DO NOT mean for you to type “F and 3”. If I want you to type “F and 3” I’ll tell you to “type F and 3”!
- Don’t call me a third time with the same problem if I have already walked you through fixing it twice before. Write down the steps I gave you. Wow – awesome idea!
- Run Antivirus and Anti-Spyware software. Even God only helps those who help themselves. My first question to you will be, “What AntiVirus and AntiSpyware software do you have installed?” If you say none, it will be a very short conversation! I KNOW YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THOSE THINGS – SO WHAT!?!?! My time is valuable to me, don’t waste it.
- Make sure your computer is up to date with the latest software. On Windows run Microsoft Update (better yet, set it to run automatically).
- When you first call, please ask me if I have time to help you. It could be that I actually have something more important going on in my life at that moment.
- If this is asking to much of you, then please, don’t ask anything of me. I won’t help you if you aren’t willing to do at least a little bit of the work!
Things my friends should do BEFORE they call me for help with their computer…
September 25, 2006 by