I have several opinions on this:
- First, I think Geeks understand the odds.
- Second, I don’t think Geeks understand the social environment (and casinos can be extremely social! I’ve met people over the last two years that I see every 4-6 months.)
- Third, casinos don’t cater to Geeks – the Internet access suck (because they want you at the tables instead of sitting in your room blogging about the casino).
- WiFi isn’t free (of course, if you gamble enough it will be “comped” (free).
- The Internet connection is slow. Maybe 3 MBPS.
- There aren’t many “Games for Geeks” (G4G). If I owned a casino in Vegas I would have G4G. Specific games – maybe they only run during major geek conferences. Some interesting G4Gs:
- I bet I can install MySQL, PHP, and a fully functional WordPress installation in under 17 minutes.
- I bet I can film, encode and upload a 60 second video to YouTube in less that 30 minutes.
- I bet I can retrieve and/or change the admin password to a Windows 2000 machine in less than 3 minutes.
- I bet I can find at least one security lapse in your network in 15 minutes or less.
Anyway, just some suggestions. I’m sure other Geeks can come up with more.