No Way! I really like Vista, but there is no way they go to RC2 now. Really. It is a VERY useable operating system, but it isn’t ready.
Not unless they have fixed a lot of bugs in new releases that they haven’t shared:
- Swap blank/full CD’s and DVD’s for a few minutes. Vista will get VERY confused about what (or if any) media is inserted. Not a big deal unless you RELY on information like, “What DVD is in the drive?”. I reported this to Microsoft directly.
- I get consistent popup’s when uninstalling or deleting downloaded files (or temporary files dragged to a “gonna burn this onto a CD/DVD temp directory”) warning me that this folder is shared. For a “temp folder” of a DVD you will ave to click “OK” for every folder. And that can be a LOT of clicks. I have seen numerous similar reports in Vista forums, and haven’t seen a resolution.
- Bluetooth just does not work on my IBM ThinkPad t42p. Just doesn’t. This was/is a popular laptop line. Since it isn’t my main machine anymore, I haven’t pushed the issue, or investigated too much. But it’s broke.
- Windows Media Center crashes often, and sometimes crashed the XBO360 Media Center as well.
- Opening some video files in third party viewers (BS, QuickTime) often causes the second monitor to “freak out” and become a group of horizontal lines that have no rhythm, and cannot dance together.
- Video is often (but not always) reverted to “Vista Basic” when something like the above happens (or often even when just running an Installer.
- Dialogs are often “popped-up” under existing windows. So you don’t see them immediately.
- File moves or copies to a Windows XP machine take an unreal amount of time (10-15x what XP-XP took). Often the dialog box caption changes to “moving […] (not responding)”. I take this to mean that the move/copy is taking so damn long that even Windows thinks it has flown the coop.
- My experience with the built-in help is that it is at best 75% complete. Many pages come up blank. MANY built in links lead to sites that don’t exist or are not populated.
- None of the other issues I have identified previously have been fixed in a release that’s widely available.
So as eager as I am to get a “final” Vista I would be shocked if RC2 fixed everything I have seen issues with, much less stuff I haven’t seen. Microsoft, I praised you for how much better 5600 was than any other build. But now I think you are stretching yourselves too thin. This just isn’t ready.